Falling in love with tiny Chihuahua fur babies is easy. Finding a name for them is another story. How do you give a name to a pooch with a larger-than-life personality? Your new pet deserves a Chihuahua name that suits them best. There is a wide range of categories to check out when deciding on the best moniker for your Chi. Ideally, you can consider the dog’s country of origin, size, color, and personality to zero in on a name.
Feisty, sassy, and loving best describes Chihuahuas. These tiny lapdogs are one of the smallest dog breeds. But though they are small, they are known to be extra aggressive. They are little bundles of sassiness and personality combined. The Chis are adored by many and are essential celebrities in the US and Mexico.
We’ve made a list of names for male, female, cute puppy names, most popular choices, and teacup Chihuahuas too. Check out our coolest selection of Chihuahua dog name ideas for your inspiration!
The Best Chihuahua Names
Naming a new pet dog requires several considerations. Even with an adorable tiny Chihuahua, you have to take into account a range of choices. Likewise, you need to train them to respond to your chosen name. Thus, it is best to pick out several you like and try calling them with each one to see which one your pooch will respond to.
The best Chihuahua dog names are typically easy to say and understand. It should not be something pretty common or sound like a name in the family. Words and monikers made up of two syllables or less are the best options for this reason. Here are the most popular choices for your new dog!
Recommended Reads: Different Types of Chihuahua Dog Breeds – Body, Head, and Coat Styles
Female Chihuahua Names
Female Chihuahuas are like celebrities. They are one of the most stylish pets in the world. You’ll see these little fur babies wearing trendy clothes, stylish winter wear, and comfortably tucked in purses of Hollywood’s famous stars. Thus, female Chihuahua names should be equally stylish and fashionable. Whether your baby is made for the limelight, cuddly, cute, or playful, here’s a list to get excited about!
- Emerald – a precious green gemstone
- Betty – from the character Betty Cooper of Archie Comics
- Blossom – for a pet with a flowery personality
- Ariel – the Disney Princess from The Little Mermaid
- Quinn – from Harley Quinn, a perfect moniker for a devious little pup
- Gracie – a lovely name for a dog with an elegant walk
- Queenie – ideal name for your pet Chihuahua
- Sugar – a name for your affectionate fur baby
- Princess – ideal for a little miss royalty
- Paisley – a dainty design, perfect name for your adorable Chihuahua
Here are more lovely, dainty, and Mexican-inspired monikers for your female Chihuahua.
Male Chihuahua Names
We always see Chihuahuas represented as pampered princesses in movies like Beverly Hills Chihuahua, Legally Blonde, and Sex and the City. But we should not forget that there are also cheeky male Chihuahuas around. But regardless of gender, these dogs really have a reputation of anything fancy and glamorous. Thus, you can opt for a cute or fancy name according to your preferences. Here’s a list of snappy, classy, and adorable Chihuahua male names for your pleasure!
- Prince – for your little Prince Charming
- Zamien – a unique name for your pooch
- Xavier – a classy term for your royal companion
- Zapp – ideal for pups who loves zooming around
- Squirt – an adorable moniker for your dog
- Nibbler – for a pet who nips at everything
- Duke – a royal position for a royal dog
- Apollo – the Greek God of Sun
- Mickey – inspired by Disney’s Mickey Mouse
- Chewie – from Chewbacca, the character from Star Wars
In naming your male pooch, you may also source apt descriptions of their color, personality, or heritage. Here are other suggestions you might like.
Cute Chihuahua Names
Chihuahuas are naturally cute and adorable. It is their size and delightful expressions that make you want to have them as pets. If you are after some cute names for your Chi, you can look into nature, food, and flowers for inspiration. It may also be a good idea to use endearments as a moniker. Likewise, use their adorable size to find the cutest name for your pooch! Here are our top picks.
Must Read: Teacup Chihuahua – 8 Facts about these Adorable Mini Chi-Chi Dog Breeds
Funny Chihuahua Names
If you enjoy good jokes, it can be a good idea to choose a name that is both suitable and funny for your Chihuahua. You can find out titles that you’d love and make you giggle at the same time. Some people opt for hilarious food or drinks as a moniker. But you may also try to spin out ironic words that are too big for a small pooch. We’ve got all ridiculous sides covered. Check out this list of funny-sounding name ideas.
- Big Mac
- King Kong
- Moby Dick
Unique Chihuahua Names
If you are looking for uncommon names for your one-of-a-kind pet, we also have you covered. Like other pet parents, we are sure that you want a name that is not usually heard of in your neighborhood. You want a moniker that’s memorable but will showcase your pet’s personality too. Try out words or places from other languages or countries. Check out this list of unique Chihuahua dog names from around the world.
- Ai – a Chinese word that means love and friendly
- Aine – a word that means “radiance” in Celtic
- Alden – an Egyptian moniker which means “friend”
- Amaterasu – a unique Chihuahua dog name inspired by the Japanese sun goddess
- Amit – a Hebrew word that means “friend”
- Anisa – an Arabic word for “friendly”
- Ciel – this word means “sky” in French
- Isoke – it means “hairy” in African, a suitable name for a long-haired Chihuahua breed
- Kelpie – a Celtic word that means “color of kelp”
- Lieve – a Dutch word that means “friend”
Here are some additional options for unique monikers for your beloved Chi. We have included some Spanish names and others inspired by the Nahuatl as a tribute to your pet’s South American Origin.
Chihuahua Puppy Names
Over the years, the popularity of Chihuahuas has grown rapidly. They appeared in movies, TV shows, and their celebrity owners. As puppies, they are very tiny, but they can also be nippy. Some people say that Chi puppies are even more vicious than other breeds. These little balls are indeed fierce and are not to be messed with. So how do you pick out names for these extra cute but extra ferocious little pups? Here are some words you might probably hear of, and you might use it as inspiration.
- Gidget – is the popularly adorable Chihuahua from the Taco Bell commercials.
- Bruiser – this pup appeared as Elle Woods’ fur baby in Legally Blonde
- Coco – is the name of Cesar Millan’s dog. He was featured on the TV series Dog Whisperer.
- Mimi – Sharon Osbourne’s pet Chihuahua
- Bambi – one of Paris Hilton’s pet
- Tinkerbell – another pet of Paris Hilton whom she famously carted with her in her purse
- Mammoth Mutt – a funny Chihuahua character in the series Krypto
- Tito – featured in Disney’s Oliver and Company
- Boo Boo – according to the Guinness Book of World Records, she is the smallest living dog.
Here are some other adorable names for your puppies with that big-dog attitude.
Teacup Chihuahua Names
Chihuahuas are one of the smallest dog breeds in the world. But the teacup variety is even smaller – it can even fit inside a teacup! Despite the tiny size, these dogs still inherit the big-dog personality of their parents. Thus, they deserve a name that is extra cute and adorable. Here are some suggestions for you to consider.
Must Read: 23 Chihuahua Mixed Breeds – Adorable & Cute Chi Mixes!
Chihuahua Mix Names
Chihuahua mixes are plucky pint-sizes cuteness that you will surely adore. Purebred Chis are lovely to have around, but when you mix them with other delightful breeds, you’ll have a distinctive pet to take home. Some of the most popular and well-loved Chihuahua mixes are the Chizer, Chion, Chibeagle, and the Chiweenie. For such pets, you might be torn between names from its parent breeds. Thus, here are some memorable Chihuahua mix names we’ve gathered for your inspiration.
- Abe – a name which means “father of many nations”
- Angel – for a mix Chi with an angelic face
- Bianca – a word that means “white” in Italian. A suitable name for a dog with a white coat
- Boogie – ideal name for a pet who barks a lot but are affectionate to their owners
- Bunny – a cool name for a dog who loves to cuddle in your lap
- Chichi – comes from the dog breed’s first syllable.
- Chipper – ideal name for a dog that talks a lot and moves a lot
- Electra – a dog name for a small but energetic pet
- Jazzy – a nice dog name for a pet Chihuahua that calms and soothes you
- Major – a military rank suitable for dogs who are always in command
- Meena – a name for an attractive female pet
- Rio – a word that means “river” in Spanish
- Pixie – refers to tiny fairy-like creatures that are very naughty
- Romeo – a sweet name for a male pooch, inspired by the novel “Romeo and Juliet”
- Roxy – a shortened version of Roxanne, the word means “brilliant dawn”
Choosing a great name for your new pet can be a challenging game. But you can take it as a fun and bonding opportunity for you and your family. Ask other people for their opinion and let them show their creativity in coming up with the perfect Chihuahua name for your fur baby.
The possibilities are endless when it comes to finding the best name for your pet. Look out for inspiration from nature, food, colors, or your pet’s heritage. For the Chihuahua, characters, places, or words from Mexico or Spanish origin can be great choices. You may also come up with words that best describe their color, larger-than-life personality, or their diminutive size! Some even opted for funny and ironic monikers to call their Chis.
So, have you used any of the names we have on our list? What name have you given your pet? We’d love to hear more suggestions from you. Please leave a comment in the box below and let us know!
1 thought on “300 Popular and Best Chihuahua Name Ideas”
I rescue so I don’t have a choice with names. I would never change a dog’s name if they come to me older than 2 months. My Chihuahua came to me from an elderly woman who gave him up when she went into a nursing home. He was called Toby and I kept it. I did adopt a 8 week old puppy from a foster home. I named him Julio because he looked like a Chi. DNA proved he is miniature pinscher with a little bit of Chihuahua.