These small yet cute and affectionate dogs can capture the heart of any dog lover or family due to their looks and personality. Coupled with the pooch’s playful temperament, small size and friendly looks, it’s no wonder that this crossbreed is famous as an animal companion. There is more than meets the eye to this dog other than its physical appearance. There is some information about this fido that is both important and educational to any dog owner like yourself.
What is Shiranian?
The Shiranian pooch is a cross between a Shih Tzu breed and the Pomeranian. These two breeds belong to the designer dogs group. Both the Shih Tzu and Pomeranian are small dogs with a lively demeanor and friendly attitudes. These traits (more or less) show up in this Shih Tzu Pomeranian mix breed. Most people would think that this dog is 50% purebred to 50% purebred due to its parents when. However, the percentage of their mix depends on each canine individually.
Most of the time, Shiranians tend to favor their Shih Tzu or Pomeranian parent over the other. Likewise, their offspring may prefer the different breed in reverse to their parents. More so, some of the Shiranians parents are products of multi-generational crosses; thus, the question of the pooches being purebred is irrelevant. So if you are getting a Shiranian puppy, get used to the fact that it may look more like a Pom or Shih Tzu.
Origin of the Shiranian
The Shiranian is a modern breed; thus, there is little information on when or how they come into existence. One thing is sure; though, the Pomeranian Shih Tzu mix breed originates from the United States. While there are little facts about the dog breed, it’s Shih Tzu and Pomeranian parents both have a lot of history behind them.
Shih Tzus are thought to be the result of crossing the Pekingese and Lhasa Apso breeds in Tibet. Later on, the royalty of ancient China received Shih Tzus as gifts from the monks of Tibet. And based on depictions on Chinese art, paintings, and writings, the Shih Tzus were valuable.
The famous Dowager Empress Tzu protected the Shih Tzus through a proclamation that anyone who caught torturing these small dogs will face execution. Eventually, in 1928, a pair of male and female Shih Tzus was bought to England by Lady Brownrigg.
These two dogs founded Lady Brownrigg’s kennel. Later on, Mrs. Hutchins brought her own Shh Tzu to Ireland and, finally, into the United States. By 1969, the American Kennel Club (AKC) recognized the Shih Tzus as a breed.
On the other hand, Pomeranians are small dogs that originated in the province of Pomerania in Central Europe. These dogs are part of the Spitz breeds like the Samoyed, Norwegian Elkhound, German Spitz, Schipperke, and the American Eskimo. Many famous historical figures have owned a Pomeranian. They include Mozart, Martin Luther, Isaac Newton, and Michelangelo.
MUST-READ: The List of Best Shih Tzu Mixes
England’s circle of royals became fond of this dog breed in 1761. It was Princess Sophie Charlotte who bought her Pomeranian dogs to England after marrying King George the Third. At first, Pomeranians were limited only to England’s royal families.
However, during Queen Victoria’s reign, the dog finally caught on the public eye. Queen Victoria had more than fifteen different breeds of Pomeranian, and the famous among them is a red and brown Pom named Marco.
Marco won many honors from various dog shows it entered, and many people agree that Marco is the inspiration for smaller Pomeranians. This dog breed was recognized in 1888 by the American Kennel Club.
The Shih Tzu Pomeranian mix tends to inherit the personality of its Pomeranian and Shih Tzu parents. Generally speaking, a Shiranian has a loyal, joyful, friendly, energetic, playful, and loving disposition. Like many small canine breeds, Shiranians can be hard-headed and stubborn. But with some training, a Shiranian puppy can grow to be an obedient adult pooch. These designer dogs are intelligent. Therefore, training them is easy since they learn quickly and are eager to please.
Since a Shi-Pop is a friendly animal, it needs human companionship and interaction with its owner. Playtime and exercises are the best means for you to interact with the dog. Shiranians are close to their owners and family; thus, it is not wise to leave the canine alone often since it will suffer from separation anxiety. On the bright side, this Pom-Tzu is not prone to barking. But this trait, along with their approachable and friendly nature, disqualifies them from being an effective watchdog.
Nonetheless, the Shih Tzu and Pomeranian mix will get along with everyone in the family. Likewise, they also get along with other dogs and pets at home.
Be sure there is adult supervision on any interaction between the pooch and small children. Small dog breeds like the Shiranians are subject to accidental injury if the kids are not careful. Also, the children playing with the pooch might not heed the warning sign that the pet no longer wants to play.
Pomeranian Shih Tzu Mix Pictures
Other Names for Shiranian
Shiranian pooches have various other names. Don’t be surprised if someone calls you pet by a different term. Here is a list of alternate names for Shiranians:
- Shih A Pom
Kennel Clubs, like the American Canine Hybrid Club or the Designer Breed Registry, International Designer Canine Registry, and Designer Dogs Kennel Club, designates the breed as a Shiranians.
Shiranians, like other crossbreeds, hybrids, or designer dogs, tend to experience health problems. Most of these health issues due to the canine’s Pomeranian Shih Tzu mix heritage. Therefore, dog owners need to know what illness will affect their pets so that they can be prevented or mitigated. Some common diseases that could affect your Shiraninans include:
- Vision and hearing loss – These two ailments usually affect fidos that are in their old age. Cataracts can sometimes damage the dog’s vision. Fortunately for dogs, they rely less on their sight, so vision loss shouldn’t be too much problem. Owners must keep them on a leash outdoors and take things slow. Likewise, avoid moving furniture around the house so they will remain familiar with their surroundings. As for your Shih Tzu Pomeranian mix pet’s loss of hearing, you can help the canine adapt by using hand signals and train it to recognize them.
- Hip dysplasia – Dysplasia is a term that refers to physical abnormalities development that occurs in dog joints. It affects all dog breeds, whether they are small, medium, or large. Hip dysplasia happens when the dog’s ball and socket are not well-developed, or the two don’t fit correctly. Instead of sliding smoothly in the socket, the ball grinds and rubs against it instead. This condition can cause the ball and socket joint to deteriorate over time that eventually leads to loss of function. Signs of hip dysplasia in a Shih Tzu Pomeranian mix include lameness in the hind legs, decreased physical activity, pain, and stiffness.
- Hypothyroidism – The thyroid gland of your Shih-Pom mix is essential to their health. This gland secretes essential thyroid hormones. Should the thyroid fail or lessen its production of hormones, hypothyroidism eventually occurs. Signs of hypothyroidism include lethargy, weight gain with lack of appetite, intolerance to cold, dull hair, and excessive double coat shedding.
- Dental disease – This health problem is also known as Canine Periodontitis, which is a mouth infection due to bacteria. Canine Periodontitis occurs when your dog’s mouth not properly cleaned off, and there are saliva and food particles. Eventually, these will form a sticky film or plaque. This dental problem can progress in four stages. It starts from plaque and inflamed gums, the appearance of gingivitis, mild or severe periodontitis, and finally, loss of bone or tooth. Some symptoms of canine oral health problems include bad breath, swollen gums, and yellow teeth. You can quickly deal with this issue by cleaning your pet’s mouth regularly.
- Various skin problems – Itchy skin or pruritus is the most common affliction that affects dogs. If the itching continues without being treated, it can cause infections, skin lesions, and hair loss. Likewise, it can make your pet feel miserable. Allergies of Pom-Tzu’s skin are due to the environment, fleas, or food. External parasites like mites and fleas, along with bacteria, can cause skin soreness and infections. More so, loss of hair is due to different factors like insects and adrenal disorders. It may require a thorough physical examination to find out. Lastly, a dull coat means that your pet is not getting enough Omega-fatty acid, which is essential for a Pom’s healthy double coat.
- Epilepsy – This illness is a chronic condition that causes seizures in dogs, and it is more or less a lifelong disease. Loss of voluntary control, jerking and shaking movements, convulsions, muscle twitching in a repeated pattern are signs of epilepsy. This condition has no cure, but there are medications to reduce or mitigate the problem. Likewise, you can avoid things that cause your pet to trigger.
If you are not sure as to what kind of affliction is affecting your dog, schedule a visit to the veterinarian for a checkup. Note that some of the health issues above can be prevented with proper physical care, cleaning, and a proper diet.
Overall Stats of the Shiranians
The Shiranian’s weight varies depending on its age. At six months old, the puppy weighs from 3lbs to 5lbs. One-year-old male puppies can weigh 8 lbs, and females weigh 7 lbs. Once your Shiranian puppy reaches one year and eight months old, they may weigh 11 lbs for males and 8 lbs for females. Overall male Pomeranian Shih Tzu mix pooches will reach a maximum of 16 lbs when they fully mature while their female counterparts weigh 13 lbs.
The dog’s height also depends on their age. Male and female puppies are 4 inches tall when they are six months old. By the time the pups are 12 months or one year old, the males will be 7 inches tall while the females are 6 inches tall. Male puppies are 10 inches when they hit one year and eight months old while females are 8 inches tall. By the time the Shih Tzu Pomeranian mix canine reaches adulthood, they will 12 inches tall for males, and females reach 10 inches.
The Shih a Pom would belong to the “Toy” group. Based on how they look, they are mistaken for a small doggie plush toy. However, some people might contend that applying breed groups to Shiranians may not be applicable. They are designer dogs, and they are products of multi-generational crosses.
The litter size of this Shih Tzu Pomeranian mix has a minimum of 4 puppies and a maximum of 6 puppies. The 4-6 numbers are the average litter size, so don’t be surprised if your dog gave birth to more than 6.
The Shih Tzu has an abundant fur on its long double coat, and the Pomeranian has the same coat traits as well. Since Shiranians inherit these fur traits from its parents, their coats will be silky and straight with a medium to long length. From their Pomeranian side, the Shiranians’ coat hair is wavy in texture. Such a kind of coat in this dog means that lots of hair will litter your place. The Pomeranian Shih Tzu mix breed sheds its coat daily, so be sure that you brush it daily with a wide comb or pin brush. On the other hand, you can trim the dog’s fur to reduce the amount of hair that the canine sheds.
The colors on the ‘Shiranians’ double coat accentuate the breeds’ adorable and charming looks. The coat colors all come from the dog’s Pomeranian and Shih Tzu heritage. Here is a list of colors that you can expect to see in the breed:
Depending on every Shih Tzu Pomeranian mix, you may find unique color combinations on your Shiranian. More so, they can have solid and single colors, mixed colors with different body markings coloring in their double coats.
The lifespan of the Shih Tzu Pomeranian Mix
The Shiranian has an average lifespan that can reach up 13 to 15 years though it is possible to go beyond the ordinary limit (10 to 18 years) even if such an occurrence is uncommon. Large dog breeds compared their smaller kin have a lower lifespan. However, it is possible for Shiranians or any other small dog breeds do not reach their lifespan limit if their owners are not taking care or neglecting them.
Where Can I Buy Shih Tzu Pomeranian Mix Puppies?
Buying Shih Tzu Pomeranian mix puppies from the right breeder are essential if you want your money worth of a pet and assurances that the pup is legit breed. The only legit and best place to get a high-quality is Shiranian puppy from a breeder who knows his or her trade. Breeders that produce exceptional puppies ensure that their breeding stock is in excellent condition. More so, they apply genetic testing to determine the quality of their pups. Another thing to consider when buying from a breeder is their reputation for breeding excellent puppies.
A Shiranian puppy does have a high price tag attached to it, but it may still depend on several factors such as parent lineage and rare coat color. Speaking of costs, you be wary of buying a Shih Tzu Pomeranian mix puppy from a breeder that sells cheap pups. There are higher chances that the puppies are of poor quality.
Shiranian Exercise Requirements
Despite being an indoor pet, the Pomeranian Shih Tzu mix breed needs to go out for a breath of fresh air and socialize. Daily visits to your local park and walking around the neighborhood for 20 minutes will keep your dog healthy. Other activities that you can do along with your pet include playing fetch, training in an obedience class, and bringing along your Pom-Tzu to visit people. Also, don’t forget to leash your pet whenever you go out.
MORE DOG MIXES
A Shiranian is a perfect pet for people who want a pooch with silky-soft fur, requires minimum exercise, and a friendly disposition. Just bear in mind that owning a pet like this cute little doggie is a big responsibility on your part. You have to feed your Shih a Pom the right kind of food for its diet, make sure that it is physically healthy, spend some quality time with it, and instill discipline.
Owning and taking care of a Shi-Pop is not hard, but it is not easy too. You have to spend some money and effort for the dog’s well-being, but all of it is worth it. Earning the love and loyalty of this adorable animal is worth your time and effort.